Saturday, March 20, 2010

...a Guest Room in Wauconda, IL

It is 11:52 a.m.

At 9:00 a.m. myself and my castmates were supposed to have left Wauconda for New York City (stopping for the night in State College, PA).

Needless to say, this is not the blog posting I had planned for today.

A bit of background:

I spent the good part of the past week coughing up everything coughable, having succumbed to some respiratory illness. Vicky, my fellow cast member, somewhat sick for most of the tour, also seemed to be suffering from the same symptoms. We spent two days in a Madison hotel room being ill and nothing more.

After Madison, we made our way North to Rhinelander, WI. I noticed something was off when we stopped for lunch and the garlic bread tasted funny. Either I was turning into a vampire, or something else was affecting my nerves and my system. The next 12 or so hours were spent vomiting in a hotel room toilet... good times, beyond compare. Assuming this was food poisoning, as I had experienced in the past, I took solace in knowing it would be over by the next day.

Which it was. To a point. I felt awful in the morning. Without energy, my body not absorbing any nutrients over the past day, I had to begin the difficult process of slowly refueling. We performed two shows that day. I felt like I was watching the whole thing on Closed Circuit Television, like I was sitting in the audience or something... my limbs were moving, sound was issuing from my mouth, but I didn't feel like I was controlling much of any of it. From Rhinelander, we piled into the van and traveled south, to rest for the night in Wauconda, IL (at my Dad's house) before continuing on to Pennsylvania and then back, finally, to New York City.

Which brings us here.

In the night, it seems, Vicki's system began acting precisely as mine had just days before, which goes to the point that what I had suffered was not food poisoning but something far more insidious. Now we sit and wait for some sort of sign that we can get on the road... which isn't looking too damn likely at the moment.

I miss home. An inordinate amount. I want to be in my bed, with my love, and not, comfortable as it is, in a Guest Room in Wauconda, IL. I've been away from New York City about as long as I'm comfortable for the moment and away from my girlfriend longer than I comfortable with.

In other words... we need to get the hell out of dodge and we need to do it now.

That's all for now.

1 comment: